Protect your smile during your teen years. People often get the last of their adult teeth during their teenage years, but unfortunately, some of the teeth may not grow in properly, or there might not be enough space left, causing overcrowding and other spacing problems. Compounding the problem, teenagers often find themselves at overwhelming odds battling peer pressure and a multitude of conditions that can destroy their smiles.
Listed below are some notable risks to the smiles of teenagers:
– Mouth jewelry is a serious risk to the mouths of teens because they are so popular, so many teens feel the necessity to get mouth jewelry, including lip and tongue rings. However, these objects are often sharp and hard, and can easily damage your teeth and gums, leading to infections, bleeding, inflammation, choking hazards, and infectious diseases such as endocarditis and hepatitis.
– Teens are often tempted by the pull of drugs from their peers, but most drugs can cause irreversible tooth loss and gum disease.
– Smoking or chewing tobacco can destroy a teenager’s oral health, and promote tooth discoloration, gum disease, and oral cancer.
– Contact sports are one of the biggest causes of oral injuries in teens, so always be sure to wear the appropriate safety equipment.
– It is possible for wisdom teeth to grow in inadequately and lead to a variety of oral ailments, such as tooth decay, infection, malocclusions, and jaw pain.
Always make time in your life to visit your dentist at E. John Moreno, DMD for a bi-annual professional cleaning, and if necessary, to book an appointment with Dr. John Moreno for a detailed exam of your oral health. You can reach our dentist office in Aliso Viejo, California, by calling us at 949-485-5333. Let us help you get a whiter, brighter smile today!