Did you know that sleep apnea is a common sleeping disorder that occurs due to interrupted breathing patterns in your sleep? However, sleep apnea can result in numerous health problems including heart failure, diabetes, depression, strokes, high blood pressure, and heart attacks. Thus, it is important to make sure you prevent and treat sleep apnea. Common guidelines for sleep apnea include the following:
– Individuals who are male and over 40 are at the greatest risk for sleep apnea.
– Individuals who are overweight and obese are at a greater risk for sleep apnea.
– If you suffer from large tonsils, a large tongue, or a small jaw in relation to the rest of your face, you will be at a greater risk for sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea is often found with individuals who have a family history of the condition.
– Numerous ailments can increase the risk for sleep apnea including a deviated septum, allergies, and sinus problems.
– To help prevent and treat sleep apnea, adjust your sleeping habits and avoid sleeping on your back.
– Oral health care devices known as CPAPs can help individuals breathe while they sleep.
– Oral appliances can be given that can help shift and support your jaw to ensure your airway will not collapse during sleep.
– Sleep apnea can be treated with various forms of surgery.
We are here to help rebuild and repair your smile. To schedule a sleep apnea procedure at E. John Moreno DMD Inc. with Dr. John Moreno and our team at our dentist office in Irvine, California, you can give us a call at 949-487-9220.